The Most Complete Review of The Gorgeous Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Samsung’s flagship phablet series returns with a bang. The Galaxy Note 5 is indeed a huge phablet with grand size and grand features. Samsung wishes to recapture the higher end smartphone market with this new product.Р’В The impatience of the fans of the Note series was evident with several leaked pictures of the phablet being uploaded on different websites across the internet.
The galaxy Note 5 was launched in US cellular, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile on 21st August, 2015. It is to launch in Australia by the 5th of September. Pre-ordering the phablet online has already begun. Sadly, UK seems to be one of the Western countries where the phablet will not be launching this year. For now, in UK, the Galaxy S6 edge+ will have to suffice. There have been a lot of speculations regarding the new features that the Galaxy Note 6 will possess.
However, as always, some turned out to be just rumours. The auto-eject S-pen or stylus was one such rumoured feature. But, even though, Samsung has indeed patented the auto-eject stylus technology this year, the feature was not introduced in the Galaxy Note 5. Samsung, however, has made up for it with plenty of other mind-blowing features.
The various features, accessories, prices, apps etc. have been discussed here. Also, certain tips to extract the maximum performance out of this device have been provided.
Features of the Galaxy Note 5
Galaxy Note 5 is the flagship work of smartphone giants Samsung and it has been loaded with some high voltage features that will blow your mind away. The features provided by Samsung are best in class and will, with little doubt, turn the tide their favour.Р’В Every feature of this smartphone has been stretched to the extreme limits.
The processor is lightning fast, the memory is huge and the display is life like. While the hardware guarantees a silky smooth performance, the display quality changes your perception of smartphones completely. By now it is already known that the Galaxy Note 5 exterior has been modelled on the Galaxy S6 edge. The section discusses the features of this amazing smartphone in details.
The Note 5 is run by Samsung’s very own Quad core Exynos 7420 octa-core processor. The processor is based on 14nano-meter architecture. No doubt that the processor is fast, but it is well suited for the super AMOLED 4k display. This is the same kind of display seen in the Galaxy S6 edge. The GPU is Mali-T760MP8 and can definitely provide some cutting edge graphics.
RAM and Storage Memory
The smartphone feature 4GB of RAM. This ensures a silky smooth performance coupled with the super-fast Exynos processor. Playing movies in 4k and playing the latest HD games would be a piece of cake with this kind of a configuration. The internal storage of Galaxy Note 5 is available in two choices: 32GB or 64GB. 128GB variations are not available for now. The downside is that there are no SD card slots in the Note 5. Hence, any hopes of expanding that memory using micro SD cards can be put to rest.
Operating system and software
The Galaxy Note 5 has been loaded with Android Lollipop v5.1.1. This is the latest version of the Android operating system. Messaging softwares provided are: SMS (threaded view), E-mail, Push mail, Multimedia messaging, and IM.Р’В Java Runtime Environment is not there.
Sensors and other features
There are a host of sensors up the Galaxy Note 5’s sleeve with which it can interact with the real world. The following sensors are present on board the Note 5: Accelerometer, heart rate, gyroscope, proximity, compass, barometer, SpO2 and temperature. These sensors open the door to a host of new features.
Other features include wireless charging with (Qi/PMA), Active noise cancellation included in a microphone and also a superb S voice natural language for commands and dictation.The WiFi version present is 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac.Р’В WiFi direct and WiFi hotspot are also available. GPS is also present with GLONASS, A-GPS and Beidou. Bluetooth version 4.2 and NFC features are available. The SIM slot is nano-SIM compatible.Р’В MicroUSB v2.0 slot is available on the Galaxy Note 5.
New Technologies in the Galaxy Note 5
Galaxy Note 5 has some new features and improvements over its predecessor. By now, it is common knowledge that the Galaxy Note 5 is a cross of the Note and the Galaxy S6 edge series. It features the best of both worlds. Some of the new technologies present are discussed in details below.
- Optical Image Stabilisation: This is a new feature for the Note series, although it has been already seen in the Galaxy S6 edge. This new technology will increase the sharpness and quality of still photos as well as videos. For passionate photographers out there, this feature is dedicated to you all.
- Eye sensing technology: Now, this could be something ground breaking and new. This new security feature will be present side by side the fingerprint scanner, also present in the Galaxy S6 edge. Both these securities coupled together could make this phone the ultimate security tool. These features would be customizable in the settings option in the phone.
- Android Lollipop: Android Lollipop is already being used by smartphones launched earlier this year. The Galaxy note 5 will come with Lollipop pre-installed. Thus new features of this operating system including lesser battery consumption, intuitive features will be available in the Note 5.
Premium features in the Galaxy Note 5
Some of the best in class features in the Galaxy Note 5 makes it the favourite contender for the best smartphone of the year prize. Take the OIS or optical image stabilization feature. This feature would be especially appealing to the photographers out there. This feature ensures that the still photos and videos shot by the Note 5’s camera would have life like appeal.
Wireless charging is another feature that was in much demand by the customers. The Note 5 features both wireless and quick charging options. While wireless charging can be very convenient, quick charging can charge the phone from 0 to 50% in less than half an hour time.Р’В That is truly incredible. Other premium features include the retina scan security system and the battery saving feature.
S-pen tips and tricks and flaws
The Note series would never have been so unique if it did not have a stylus or S-Pen. The S-Pen is probably the reason the series is called Note in the first place. Although there were many rumours of an auto-eject S-Pen, they turned out to be false. The S-pen does have any auto-eject feature. Instead, you need to push it at the bottom, next to the speaker, to eject it.
The cool tricks that this S-Pen allows you to perform are as follows:
- You can take notes as easily as writing on a notebook with a pen
- You can edit images by drawing on them with the S-pen
- Crop images or text very easily using this S-pen
- You can write all you want with this S-pen and the phone recognises it easily
Since the S-pen is completely detachable from the device, there is always a chance of you losing it. Keeping that in mind, Samsung has introduced a new alert system that alerts you whenever the S-pen is no longer detected by the device. This feature can be enabled and disabled in the settings menu. It is enabled by default.
Turning on the screen off memo under settings can enable you to take notes even when your screen is turned off. That is a really cool feature. After writing on the black notepad, you can click save.
There is a slight drawback for this new and improved S-pen. It can be easily inserted into the device the wrong way, damaging the S-pen detection and associated features. The earlier Note series styluses had a blunt edge and couldn’t be re-inserted the wrong way.
However the new stylus has a uniform design and shape and can be inserted the wrong way without any resistance by the device’s design. This drawback in design is a major concern as most people can do this wrong if they are not always too careful.
Galaxy Note 5 tricks/shortcuts
The Galaxy Note 5 comes packed with a lot of tricks and shortcuts. The best of them are given below:
- Air command: The Air command has shortcuts to every app used by the S-Pen. This feature was also present in the earlier Note series phone. However, this time around, you can add other apps and customize the air command dock. This way it becomes really easy to access all your apps.
- Screen off memo: This is yet another cool feature and a shortcut as well. Using the S-pen you can now write to the screen and save your memo even when the screen is sleeping. A black notebook appears with a save option. Another advantage of this feature is that battery is also saved as the screen is not awoken.
- Scroll Capture: Now, a lot of phones have screen capture features. But this device lets you capture the entire webpage having multiple scrolls. The screenshot or rather scroll-shot is saved as a long image file that can be zoomed into.
- Ultra-power saving mode: Ultra power saving mode can be accessed from the settings menu. The ultra-power savings mode can be adjusted for various apps to save battery and extend usage time.
Sale of Galaxy Note 5
As per statistics the online sales figures for the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, in the United States, are much higher than the Galaxy S6 edge plus. The stylus equipped phablet is the favourite among masses with double the number of devices sold as the S6 edge plus.
A reason behind this could be that the phablet fanatics are looking at the price tag of both the phones. The Galaxy S6 edge plus is has a much higher price tag than the Galaxy Note 5. Of course, people who are into the S-pen feature will always prefer Note 5 over Galaxy S6 edge plus. In the United States, the Note % costs around $70 less than the S6 edge plus.
Thus, having these figures in mind, it may be safe to place a bet on the Note 5 taking the best smartphone of the year award in 2015.
Release Date and Price by Country
The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is not suitable for every smartphone buyer. This is mainly due to its large size. It is safe to say that people who wish to make most of its Notebook feature, particularly the S-Pen, would go for this series. Samsung has announced that the phone will only be available to buyers in the United States and Australia currently. This means that UK and other European countries would have to wait until next year. They would have to be content with the Galaxy S6 edge plus for now.
The Galaxy Note 5 launched on US cellular, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile on 21st August, 2015. Pre-ordering in Australia has opened on the 18th of August. The device would hit the markets by September 4.
The expected price of Galaxy Note 5 in different countries is listed as follows:
- The United States of America – 696 US dollars
- Australia – 1333 Australian dollars
- United Kingdom – 600 pounds
- Brazil – 2920 Brazil Real
- Canada – 1272 Canadian Dollars
- China – 6805 Chinese Yuan
- Denmark – 6569 Danish Krone
- Finland, France, Germany, Greece – 883 Euro
- Hong Kong – 8526 Hong Kong Dollar
- India – 68927 INR
- Japan – 130,625 Yen
- Singapore – 1445 Singapore Dollar
The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 packs a lithium ion battery of 3000mAh. The battery is of non-removable type. Both standards of wireless charging as well as quick charging option are available. A big battery ensures a pretty good usage time considering the high capacity display.
The on board battery saving feature is also very useful in extend run time by a couple of hours at least. Hence the battery life is pretty decent. Wireless charging and quick charging options are very convenient in their own ways.
The display specifications of the Galaxy Note 5 are just mind blowing. This is some serious cutting edge technology. It has a 5.7 inch Quad-High Definition Super-AMOLED display with a resolution of 2560×1440 pixels. These numbers bring the display to life and viewing 4k videos on this screen is quite an amazing experience.
It has a PPI of over 600. That is simply huge. No detail or colour can escape this display. At the same time, playing latest HD games would also be a treat. The smooth processor, a spacious RAM and a state-of-the-art GPU would simply add to the experience in every way imaginable.
The Galaxy Note 5 boasts of a 16MP primary camera with Optical Image Stabilisation, LED flash and Auto Focus. The primary camera images have a maximum resolution of 5312×2988 pixels. This staggering number coupled with OIS produces brilliant life like images that even professional photographers would admire. The front camera is 5MP which is more than enough for good, crisp selfies.
Eye Retina Scanner
The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is equipped with two deadly security features. One would be the finger print scanner from the Galaxy S6 edge and the other would be an eye retina scanner. The combination of these two security features can make it impossible for anyone else to unlock the phone other than the user himself.
Best Apps for Galaxy Note 5
Keeping in mindthat the Note 5 has an S-Pen and an incredible one too; here are the best apps that could make use of it:
- Art Flow: Brushes, colour pallets and various other options will be at your disposal while you let your creativity take shape on your Note 5. The tools are hidden while you exploit the full area of a blank canvas. A tap at the corner brings the menu out again.
- Sketchbook: The sketchbook app is also a very smart app for artists looking to express themselves. The brushes and options in the free version are pretty exhaustive. The paid version has some extra brushes and options for advanced work.
- One Note: It is a note taking spp. You write down notes with your S-Pen instead of typing them. The Note 5 recognizes handwriting very well. Save the notes for later viewing.
- SignEasy: Signing with the finger is really tedious and often isn’t valid. Signature with an S-Pen is just as good, if not better, as that with a normal pen. SignEasy lets you save your signature and apply it on any document.
- Scribble Racer: It’s a gaming app where you race along a track with your S-Pen and collect bonuses along the way.
Problems in Galaxy Note 5
Though Samsung’s flagship work has been considered to be a favourite contender for the top smartphone prize, it has a few drawbacks that would make buyers think before buying it. These drawbacks are as follows:
- Size: The Note 5 is a huge smartphone. One handed operation is often difficult. Though it has a one handed operation mode where the screen size shrinks down to half a screen, the phone is difficult to accommodate in the average pocket.
- Absence of MicroSD slot: The phone doesn’t have a SD card slot. This could be a potential turn off for many buyers.
- S-Pen insertion problem: The S-pen can be inserted in the wrong way if the user is not careful, damaging S-Pen detection and associated features.
- Battery: The battery capacity is good but it is non-detachable.
Galaxy Note 5 vs Р’В Others Phones
Note 5 vs iPhone 6
Display: The Samsung Galaxy note 5 has a 4k display while the Apple iPhone 6 has 1080p display. This could also mean that the iPhone 6 will have better performance.
Screen: Galaxy Note 5 has a screen size of 5.7inch while Apple iPhone 6 has a screen size of 4.7inch.
RAM: Galaxy Note 5 has a RAM of 4GB. iPhone 6, on the other hand, has a RAM of 2GB
Camera resolution: Apple iPhone 6 has a 12MP rear camera while Note 5 has a 16MP rear camera with OIS.
Operating system: iPhone 6 has iOS9 whereas Galaxy Note 5 features factory loaded Android Lollipop v 5.5.1.
Note 5 vs. iPhone 6 plus
Display: The Apple iPhone 6 plus has a resolution of 1920×1080 whereas Note 5 has 4k display
Screen: The Apple iPhone 6 plus has a screen size of 5.5 inch whereas Note 5 has a screen size of 5.7 inch.
Internal Storage: The Apple iPhone 6 plus has 128GB versions whereas Note 5 has only 32 and 64GB variants.
Charging: Note 5 support both standards of wireless charging whereas Apple iPhone 6 plus does not support wireless charging and only supports quick charging.
Battery: Though both models have a non-removable Lithium ion battery, the battery capacity of iPhone 6 plus are slightly lesser than that of Note 5 with only 2915mAh compared to 3000 mAh.
Note 5 vs. Galaxy S6 edge plus
Display: The Galaxy Note 5 has a larger screen size and the same pixel density as Galaxy S6 edge plus. Hence display of the latter should be slightly better even though both phone displays are 4k.
Screen Size: The Note 5 is larger with 5.7″ screen while Galaxy S6 plus has a 5.5 inch screen
Design: The Galaxy S6 edge plus is sleeker than the Note 5 as it is slightly thinner.
Weight: The Galaxy Note 5 is heavier at 171g
The following colour variants for Samsung galaxy Note 5 are available:
Sapphire Black, White pearl, Titanium Silver and gold platinum
Best cases for Galaxy Note 5
Samsung’s default case is not a good option. It gets pretty slippery with time. Following cases are suggested:
- Fashion Cases: Obliq Slim Meta, Abacus 24-7, Ionic Bella, Ringke Fusion Clear
- Strong cases: Otterbox defender series case, Urban armor gear case, i-blason prime dual layer case and holster
- Water proof cases: Supcase with built in screen protector.